17 June 2011

Trying

I am trying my best to stay calm. I go back & forth between wanting to pack the whole house & coming to my senses. We are a good distance from the evacuation line and even though the pre-evac line has come north we are still 7 minutes from it. The fire seems to be going northeast & we're more straight north. They say no homes have been destroyed east of 92(highway) & there are ALOT of homes over there that the fire has passed so the firefighters are doing a great job. The fire is only 15% contained & is now close to 20,000 acres burned. It's so crazy & sad. I "liked" a facebook page about the fire which basically more of people asking about family there (like we know their family) & spreading rumors. Someone said part of S.V. is evacuated & that's in no way true. We aren't even pre-evac-ed yet. They just recently sent out pre-evacs for the 2 streets north of Ramsey. People were actually allowed to go back home last night to get more things but had to leave again this morning. So while Hereford & Ramsey were evacted, they were allowed to go back for a few hours. In honesty, I don't think we'll get pre or emergency evacuated. I think we'll be fine. Doesn't mean I haven't started packing. Haha! I have pictures, albums, & mike's mustang books in a tote which is super heavy. I have some dog stuff in their(the dog's) backpack & I have stuff in my backpack(jewelry & all my pills). I wish I had extra deodorants, toothbrushes & toothpastes so they could be packed. I want to be as ready as I can be. If we ever do get a pre-evac warning my car will SO be packed. Waters, Totes, Pillows, Blankets, Dog backpack, My backpack, Suitcases, Kennels! Kennels would be a hard fit but we'd do what we have to do. It'd probably be me & the dogs in the front seats of my car & mike would have his car.

So I have packed some stuff but I've restrained from pulling down pictures or awards(army). If a pre-evac came I'd definitely start with those. I just knew when Mike came home he'd get annoyed with me about the totes. He thinks I'm being paranoid & I figured he'd shake his head at me. He might've, I wasn't in the room when he came into it, but he didn't say a single word to me. I don't know if he noticed ALL his mustang books missing from the shelf or not but he'd know where they were. I really hate this anxious feeling. I feel so overwhelmed & on the brink of tears. It was overwhelming packing the totes & bags. It's so surreal to know there's a small chance you might be evacuated, that you might be forced out of your home. It's scary. I've seen it on the news & I've felt horrible for them but never thought we'd be in a situation where we'd be there. I'm going to start talking in bulletins cause I think it'll be easier for me.
Things I know!
  • Mike had to get his gloves & eyewear & meet at certain site. They weren't told what they'd be doing but you kinda know. Working! Clearing brush & any other preventative measure for the fire.
  • Ft. Huachuca residents are being told/ordered to do pre-fire measures. Watering grass all night, etc
  • Ft. Huachucians have been put on 48 hr evacuation notice (or something like that). I think meaning that they could have to evacuate in as little as 48 hours. But maybe they will be evacuated in 48 hrs just because.
  • If Ft. H-ians do HAVE to leave in 48 hrs then OH LORD! All houses on Ft. H are north of us so if they have to leave sunday/monday then what does that mean for us?
  • The fire is moving faster & faster each day. It went from 4,600 on Wed to 6,500 on Thurs to 9,000 Friday night to nearly 20,000 this morning. It doubled overnight!
I'm thinking we won't have to evacuate because.....
S.V. is a huge town & I don't think they'll let it get up to us (I hope). Most evacuees are sheltered here in S.V. Animals & People! 2-3 schools have people & 2-3 vets are taking animals. Homes are being opened up for people & pets. We are the main safety place! If we have to evacuate then where the H will we ALL go?!

They need SO many donations here. I've thought about raiding our closets for blankets for the shelters & volunteering. I'm scared too. I think if I actually SEE all the animals & all the craziness it'll make it more real. I know it's real, I see the smoke & flames(at night) but it's not here. It's not up close & personal. I am scared! I feel like I'm being paranoid & overly sensitive but I can't help it. This is so unlike anything I've ever experienced. I am scared to death of the "what ifs". I want to pack more but it makes me more upset. Well, I'm off to pack a little more (pillows, blankets, etc) then we'll see. Maybe I will head to a vet's place to help or donate.

Update: Just looked at the M. fire (facebook) page & I guess Ft. H does have fire. I'm sure on the edge, up in the mountains where they do all the training exercises AKA far away from homes & people. It's still scary to know the fire has reached Ft. H! :(

No comments:

Post a Comment